Sep 4, 2007

Tv's not edgy anymore.

Tv has no balls. NO BALLS. As a result I though some of you might want to know where to seek out the gold nuggets of entertainment. You tube clips are afoot. First off old stuff:

Andy Kaufman

This is from the "Andy wrestles women" Phase post-Taxi years. The thought that you could watch a show and not know what's going to happen. The last time something like this happened in modern history Bobcat Goldthwait had to do community service. (He set fire to Jay Leno's Guest Chair. Coffee was poured on the burn and Bobcat was forced to sit in it.) It's also important to notice, this happened on David Letterman, who now wouldn't have the balls to allow half of this on his set. (see: Crispin Glover)

Tom Snider

Last of the great talkers, I started watching him when I was a kid. Sadly, it was like the last year he was on. At least I had that.

Howard Stern

Being interviewed by Tom Snyder. I feel like this is the best case one can make that Howard isn't just a garbage mouth like the media paints him, sure he's that, but he's also a very savvy broadcaster. It's worth the watch, he manages to get Tom to walk off his own show.

Gong Show

God Damnit I miss the 70's.

Morton Downey Jr.

While I didn't always agree with the man, It's amazing what he did with a nothing show with a nothing budget. Even though it was conservatism during the 80's it's still fun. He was a proto Jerry Springer, and his unfortunate cancellation gave us Rush Limbaugh. Remember: The show you cancel maybe the show you wish you had. Also, he hit Stuttering John with a chair and punched him.

Geraldo

OH GERALDO. The much hated and joked about mustached host of the late 80's was edgy to say the least. leading up the Jerry Springer hay day of the 90's Geroldo played it cool with Alien sex stories, racists, and Satanism.

You'll notice most of this new stuff is from comedy. It's my personal feeling that because Comedy is at it's best when it's edgy, and everything else on TV is so watered down this is where the good stuff is. I present - New Stuff:

South Park

Need I say more than "Scientology episode" to point out how South Park can stay relevant? Using technology to literally finish the episode the day before you watch it, Matt and Trey can stay on top of things.

Tim & Eric Awesome Show: Good Job!

It's also cool to note that the clip features Will Forte, the only funniest member of Saturday Night Live right now. There's only Four right now, counting him. *sigh* Anyways Tim & Eric recall Monty Python and Later years of Kids in the Hall. There hasn't been unbridled insanity like this on TV since Upright Citizen's Brigade. PS: Bone-us Clip: UCB pranking Al Roker on Live TV.

Jon Stewart

While he's the host of the daily show this clip from crossfire clearly shows not only is he funny and genuine about his feelings that media is falling apart, somebody I want in my corner. (Warning: It runs a little long but it's worth it.)

Stephen Colbert

This is one of my favorite pieces Colbert ever put together. His show is great as well, but I do miss those Colbert nuggets, pure concentrated Stephen goodness.

Donny Deutsch

Here this is kinda a softball interview with Blue Man Group. Most of the stuff I could find was with business people and while I find that interesting, you won't. Donnie is the last of the sit down interviewers. More than a 5 min piece of introducing a person and then plugging their product.

Bill Maher

Beyond being a talented comedian, Bill Maher is an excellent talk show host. Like others on this list, I don't always agree with them, but somebody has gotta be balls out, asking questions making you think about issues. Bill's got a new movie coming out on religon, keep your eyes pealed.

Conan O'Brien

Had to end with something funny because a lot of this stuff ran a little heavy. Some people disagree but when Conan turns it on, he's a great interviewer, However, this clip doesn't reflect that. Do your own damn research, I WANT BABIES ON CINDER BLOCKS. That's the other thing about Conan, getting back to being edgy, he redefined late night. He brought it to the younger generation and as I watch him turn from the idea to the institution, I'm glad, because late night would have fallen apart without him.

Some thoughts: There's a new show on the horizon, well, on E!. It's called "Chelsea Lately" and while when I've watched the show I've wanted to die, It's evolving, the last time I watched it, it was less painful. She gets an actor, a comedian, and a commentator, or some sorta tri-fecta like that, and has discussion and she intends to get people on IN THEIR OFF TIME when they DON'T have anything to sell. I like the idea, but the show, because it's purely entertainment, it's intentionally fluff, makes me sad because: it will die. Somebody needs to steal this idea, mix it with some daily show and put it on a network where it will thrive like a NBC, like a VH1, something that has the right demographics and it would be BOMB.

This post was inspired by my ex-neighbor Mr. Middleton whom I'm thinking I should have spent more time talking to instead of working myself to death. Next time I'll be introducing you to British Television you didn't know you could be loving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Ex-Neibor here) I find this blog entry to be very insightful and sad that the clips seen are all from the past. The current state of pop culture is younger, trendier, and more pathetic than ever e.g. the god damn news stuff on celebs going to jail! There has been some good moments and I commend you on the Conan comparisons but I feel maybe once he shifts in a few years to take Leno's seat that he will have to conform and have the trendy guests as well. Whats wrong with TV? I think that everyone who's in charge needs to sit down and enjoy some nice pop culture history to have a better understanding of the way things used to be and how to better the future. As we set night in and night out the styles change, the looks come and go, but there will never be anymore Johnny Carsons, Tom Snyder, Harry Andersons if people aren't taught of how great they really were. Modern Television has no balls and feel they have to do what is trendy at the moment e.g. Lohen on Conan a few months back but will this curse of bad TV ever end? Only time will tell.

I host a radio show that airs Sunday and Thursday nights @9pm on www.morehead-st.edu/thebird check out some of my rants and send me some emails to continue these discussions. Bravo my good man BRAVO!