May 22, 2009

Art & DickCheese

Art, that storage device of creativity. I've written about Alan Moore's idea of the connection between magic, art, and it's effect on people, so I will not tread that ground again today. Instead I want to ponder why more people don't incorporate it into their lives.

When I was a child I thought my father was the last person on earth to enjoy art. Then I unearthed paintings, watched him help my sister paint for college, he read me poetry, introduced me to books, I even found out he had a soft spot for old school books from little one room school days. Then one day it hit me: This is all art. So after what feels like a million art books later, it's something me and old man have in common. It's something he gave to me weather he wanted to or not, now I can't pic up a book of impressionists or Robert Frost poetry without thinking of him.

This is the reason for art: It outlives us. We know who Van Gogh, Homer, and those french cavemen are, simply because of their want(need?) to create. Art is that mirror that we look through to understand the world and possibly achieve some sort of immortality. Because the Lumire Brothers invented film, they will never be forgotten.

Life is better for art and anybody with some high level brain functions seem to like it. (Koko the sign language gorilla loved to paint and apparently could see in color because she said, "Where's my red sweater? I want to wear my read sweater!" and then tore apart a closet looking for it. KOKO RAWKS.) You don't see ants writing a communist manifesto do you? Art is another one of those things humans "just seem to do", like hoping, like dreaming, like art. Cavemen had no need to draw themselves killing a buffalo, but for whatever reason they did. They wished to record that experience (damn I'm good at tying this shit together). So, as I have done all week, I request of you something: Go forth and make Art! Paint, write, shit on a umbrella and throw it at grandma (that's performance art).

-----------------------------------------------

Because today's subject is art, I drew a new DickCheese comic for you all to enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Budha. I miss you. you should come play l4d some time soon. love, iLjaG (Now Yarfunkle)